Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring...

INSTALLING SPRING...

Installing spring
███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.

Install delayed....please wait. Installation failed. Error: Season not found. Season "Spring" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again.


Feels that way!

I am attempting things this year gardening under lights that I would never have thought particularly worthwhile in the past. We have had years recently where we have not had frost after April 1. More frequently, the two periods of full moon between April 1 and our average last frost date, sometime around the third week in May, will bring gardeners a periodic pause to cover things with sheets or bring in tender hanging baskets for the night.

This year, this spring, is atypical. I would guess soil temps are below 40 degrees. If the snow would melt, I would find my soil thermometer and have at it. As it is, I have to dig a hole to find the garden.

So today, I planted soaked peas in a 128-cell flat, indoors, instead. The way they are going they will be better than the ones in the snow. I'll let you know.

Checking in on the progress of other garden "inquiries":

The cut-off nubs from the bottom of the celery bunch-- looked good about a week after planting and then ran out of steam, droopy-looking and dies.

The iceberg lettuce cores--transplanted to the garden. They looked good before the snow. Not sure now, though.

Pruned grapes--usually by April 7, when I actually got to pruning them, the buds are typically starting to unfurl tiny leaves. This year? No change since the end of March. They are a good 3 weeks behind. They usually are ready to pick about September 11-19. I'll let you know if this summer is a bust. Three weeks late puts us into the average first fall frost date of October 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment