Monday, May 2, 2011

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"


Heck. This post is not about gardening.

Every year on Easter weekend while I was growing up, the network television stations (back when there were only three and television was free) would re-broadcast "The Wizard of Oz". What person over 40 doesn't have almost the entire movie virtually memorized?

So, I supposed it is only natural that the lines between Dorothy and Glinda, the Good Witch, and the Wicked Witch should run through my mind on the occasion of bin Laden's death, spring, and tornadoes and their havoc.
(I'll paraphrase.)

"You've killed the Wicked Witch of the East. You've killed my sister! I'll get you my pretty!" screams the Wicked Witch of the West as she stomps her broomstick and is off in a cloud of smoke.

"Who was that?" asks the naive Dorothy of Kansas.

"That was the Wicked Witch of the West. She's twice as bad as the other one." replies Glinda. "She's a powerful enemy. I do hope you have brought your broomstick with you!"

Possibly being from Kansas is its own cautionary tale? So, once again, I am rooting for the good guys, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment