Monday, May 30, 2011

Planting a Rock Wall Face


This rock wall was planted just last fall. It softens the rock face. Although planted with drought-tolerant plants, it required water to establish. This year, it should require water only during periods of extreme heat.


Planting close-up. In this picture, creeping phlox, ajuga 'Bronze Glory', lysimachia 'Gold Coin', Fescue 'Elijah Blue', and rugosa rose alba.


Planting close-up. In this picture, sempervivrens, sedum, geum trifolia - prairie smoke, and creeping phlox.

For those of you into the before and after stuff, here is the same rock retaining wall in August.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I am a rock wall fan anyway, and love the look of plants in the crevices. My sister has a rock wall, and I have given her lots of semps and sedums and it is filling in nicely! Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This like the third or fourth rock retaining wall I have done for a client. I don't always get back to take pictures. You got to love those low-growing sedums for stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete