Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First Strawberry Today!

I ate my first strawberry from my strawberry patch this morning. The local U-pick is advertising "Strawberries in Three Weeks!" They must not have 'Honeyoye'!


When I was a kid, I knew where all the best blackberry grew wild. Those beds have long ago been plowed over to make way for more corn field or to enable a walk-around irrigation system. Two years ago, a friend gave me a couple cuttings from the biggest blackberries I have ever seen. I could not believe these blackberries with canes a thick as my thumb! The arching canes each send up a 5" cluster of blooms that will bear as much as any one cane did in my childhood.



Strawberry 'Honeoye loaded down on these plants I set out last fall.


No problem with those 'Georgia Jet' sweet potatoes that looked dead on arrival. Score one for Jung's! The minute these slips fill in the 3.5" deep pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment