Saturday, July 30, 2011

Last Saturday in July


Honeysuckle vine crawling over my fence has been blooming since June.

I know we have had an abundance of Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays this July. A couple people have told me we don't usually have five of each and it won't happen again for 700-800 years or some such. When I was in my twenties I would be yelling, "Weekends! (and paydays-- it seemed I always got paid on Fridays) Personally, that is too long a period of time to even wrap my mind around. These days, I tend to worry about things a little closer in, say the beginning of the school year.

During the school year, I substitute teach. It gets me through he time I can't garden, grow plants, or landscape for people here in frigid central Wisconsin. I usually don't get too many calls the first couple weeks in September. The merging of the two jobs is typically seamless.

This week, however, I managed to sell a medium to large landscape project, a couple smaller ones, and got a call from a school at which I sub, "Would I take on a month or so long subbing gig for them from day one of the school year?" YES!

Then in my head, hot, humid, and rainy weather notwithstanding; YIKES! I have a lot to do in the next 65 days.

Sixty-five days to the frost date.

Ten days ago, I just planted a veggie garden with fall, short harvest cycle veggies, and crops like parsnips, carrots, onions, and rutabagas which can be spring harvested, for a client. (Suddenly, in July, the need for a vegetable garden was overwhelming for her!)

Sixty-five days to the frost date.

Get going people!

No comments:

Post a Comment