Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Spicy Mesclun Mix and Salad Greens


Spicy mesclun salad mix growing at the Chicago Botanical Gardens.


I planted this same mix in the garden and potager. Instead of the nice purple Asian mustard, I got an over-powering regular mustard. I like mustard, but not to the exclusion of all else!

I planted this mix in a seed tray so I could control germination, so if the seed was in the mix, I think it germinated. The seeds I thought I was getting were not what I got and definitely not the colorful mix pictured on the seed packet.

I like salads. I am always looking for greens to grow. These year I have been hardesting leaves of Savoy cabbage and other cabbages as they grow. I also have chard, spinach, parsley, buttercrunch lettuce, and a few leaf lettuces.

When the heat breaks, I'll plant some lettuce for late summer and fall salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment