Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Cucumber Soup

My mother makes this. I'm not sure whether you consider it a soup or a salad.

You want to use pickling cucumbers, not those dark green waxed cukes you typically find in chain grocery stores. I don't know what those are; but where I come from, they aren't considered to be cucumbers.

Use three to four medium-sized cucumbers. Cut off and discard each end. As I make any fresh cuke dishes, I always taste the blossom end tip (which I would discard). Sometimes you will find a particularly bitter cuke. These I discard. Peel them.

Slice into as thin of slices as possible. Use a small glass bowl. Chop up a small onion and add. Also add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Add enough milk to cover cukes and onions. Cover and refrigerate. This is best if it has a couple hours to marinade.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. As summer is not far away this side- I'll be trying this recipe....I can almost taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw a recipe for a cucumber sauce using Greek yogurt in Martha Stewart's "Living" (p.174, Chicken Souvlaki)that looks like a thicker version of this. Since my Mom was always pulling out things she enjoyed as a girl and trying to re-invent them as her mother did not share recipes, this cucumber thing or some Prussian version might have been the original sort of recipe.

    ReplyDelete