Friday, August 5, 2011

Golden Beets

If you haven't eaten golden beets rather than the typical red beets, I recommend you sow some now for late season harvest or pick some up at your local farmers' market. I had the first of mine from the potager and they were very tasty.

My sister-in-law has been picking up these baked veggie chips containing sweet potatoes, golden beets, eggplant, potatoes, and green beans. They are probably a lot better for you than deep-fried potato chips. I do have a saying, though, if you can deep-fry it salt it, and put catsup on it you have a culinary hit with the American palette.

So, it should come as no surprise that I pulled a couple golden beets, some 'Little Fingers' carrots, and a couple potatoes scrubbed with skins on and deep-fried them for my son and myself for supper yesterday. (Out on a job site, I skipped lunch; my son spent 7 hours at a basketball camp.)

As a kid I never like how red beets would bleed into my mashed potatoes (which my mother served with every meal). All veggies were over-boiled, and accompanied a piece of grisly, fatty meat. No culinary treats at my mother's house, her cooking skills only covered calorie-laden desserts.

The golden beets were a hit. I am a convert, at least deep-fried, with salt, and catsup!

No comments:

Post a Comment