Monday, August 1, 2011

Harvesting Dill

Dill can be easily grown from seed. Mine in my garden was seeded as soon as the ground could be worked. Dill takes about 3 weeks to germinate. It grows quickly from germination. By 60 days, you will have some florets with seeds ready to dry and the lacey foliage will be beyond collecting for dill weed. You will still have flowering florets to use for canning at 60 days.

The ferny leaves can be harvested green as they grow for dill weed and used either dry or fresh. Dill weed and dill seed is the ultimate added touch by a cook to make the recipe their own. I like it in potato salad, tuna salad, egg salad. My sister-in-law uses it in sandwiches and scrambled eggs.

I don't actually know any recipes other than canning recipes that actually specify dill weed, dill florets, or dill seed. I prefer the florets that have just bloomed and are fresh for canning. It is a necessity for dilly beans, dilled pickles, and any other veggies 'dilled'. Dried flower heads can be used as well as dried seed heads as well. I like to chew on it when fresh.

It makes a great fresh-cut bouquet adding a dilly fragrance to your dining room or kitchen.

Once you have grown it fresh you will find the dill available at Farmers' Markets and dried in the seasoning aisles of your grocery store lacking!

2 comments:

  1. I usually collect my seeds for use in Curries- thanks for reminding me to use dill in potato salad and tuna salad, nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we do a lot more "salads", not many curries! I don't think I've had a curry with dill.

    ReplyDelete