Monday, August 8, 2011

Supersweet 100 Tomatoes

Out at the family garden I have several different types of tomatoes. We have 'Olpaka', 'Roma', 'Siberian', 'Beefsteak', 'Early Girl', and not the least, although decidedly the smallest, 'Supersweet 100'.

I've picked a couple Olpakas so far, but quite a few of the cherry tomato 'Supersweet 100'.

A lot of gardeners have told me, "You have to plant 'Supersweet 100s'. They are so sweet!" Yet not one of these gardeners has ever proffered any so I could sample the proof of the harvest. I wasn't too excited, but someone had given me a seed packet and I did have a cherry tomato started, so I figured, "what the heck!"

I take it back. They are like berries, like a raspberry. Like pure sugar, they are so sweet.

All of our tomatoes have loaded up, incredibly heavy with hanging fruit. Like my 2 year old nephew would say, "So-o-o hea-vy!" 'Supersweet 100' is no exception to exceeding my yield expectations, but taste, too!

Yup, summer can be sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment