Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bakers Creek Seed


As 'Celebrity' took the first place spot (and second), I would be remiss not to grow it as everyone had such good luck with it in the area.


I pretty much know what I'm going to plant this year and what varieties. I have been moving away from the tempting and to those things that grow good for me. To keep things interesting though, I do spend my time with lots of seed catalogs.

Looking for the "new-to-me" veggies is a form of plant hunting of which I have been letting my fingers do the digital hunting.

One of my favorite hunting grounds?

Baker Creek. (Check out this cool melon!)

Baker Creek boasts a huge assortment of seed, including just oodles of heirlooms (1,400) and seed savings types. I want to grow what grows good for me so looking at seed saved by someone's grannie from the Ukraine or which an aunt smuggled out of Russia, completely fills the bill for the growing conditions here in central Wisconsin. I also am perusing my pictures of the vegetables entered in the county fair and hunting down those varieties, too.

Baker Creek hasn't paid me a dime to say any of this, just to get that out of the way; but at $2.00 to $4.00, it'll be fun to mix it up a bit with some of their unusual offerings!

Variety is the spice of life. Hopefully, mine will be populated with this African horned cucumber, beautiful orangey-pink eggplants that like it cool, a short 70-day yellow-rind salmon-fleshed water melon, and a couple others I have been eyeing up.

I'll keep you up to date on my finds and how they do.

Happy hunting all!

No comments:

Post a Comment