Wednesday, October 31, 2012

On Using Found Objects



I think I was born with a shovel in my trunk, a pruner in my bag, and a paintbrush in my pocket. I feel like everything I see is either in need of paint, pruning, or planting.

So when I come across a piece of rusty something, I feel I either need to paint it, or fix it. This bell with a wooden clapper had its rope hanger rot through and ended up in my scree garden.

When I visited the Hancock Research Station run by the University of Wisconsin Extension, their organic take on garden art ran to historic items displayed in a sheltered exhibit and in their garden beds. Their rusty finds ran to late 19th century and early 20th century farming implements.

I actually have used one of these. It was the only drill my dad would allow his daughters to use when they lived at home, sad to say.



In my garden I also have several pieces of gating and railing. The simple railings I have tipped on end and used them for my clematis. I have one additional piece in need of some serious scraping and sanding, currently done in a peeling white.

I have been contemplating hanging this piece within a 4' fence that would divide my side yard into a separate, more intimate seating area. Thoughts, anyone?



I have been looking through my pictures for ideas how to stage my garden and have found a few photos I neglected to share that are comment-worthy.

This first one above, is taken in May and shows my pagoda dogwood (cornus alternifolia) in spring bloom, along with my creeping phlox out front and the the fresh green of my May hosta.


This next is of a late blooming chrysanthemum, typically blooming just before my asters. It was a passalong, so I don't actually know what this cultivar is.


And a plant I always tell myself to actually plant in my yard, goats beard. Not sure why I haven't found a place for this beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Nice found objects. Judy once found crosscut slices of a huge old maple. She and a friend got the car and, with the help of the arborists who were glad to get rid of them, loaded them up and brought them home. They must have weighed at least 300 lb. each. We have ours still leaning against a silver maple.

    ReplyDelete