Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Really? Really? Really!


I haven't been posting lately. I've been off finding myself. Since Handsome Son has become Handsome College Boy, the rhythmn of my life has changed. I've been looking for my path. It seems to have gotten choked with out with overgrown shrubs or something.

Well, my yard isn't really overgrown. It's going to be on the Master Gardeners' garden Walk this coming summer.

And I grew one kick-ass vegetable garden this summer.

I've been spending a lot of time with my nephews, The Twins and Baby Gardener.

Faithful Companion has become better mannered.

And my internet connection has been crap, to the point I called my ISP, on my landline.

And, I have been testing the waters, looking for full-time work. After spending over a decade piecing together my livelihood from various sources, and adopting a future world type career portfolio rather than a straight-line career, I thought it might be time to go "back to work".

But what work? Leverage my resources and start a full-scale landscaping company? Start that CSA? Follow through and enroll in one of those 18-month teaching certificate programs? Get some solid credentials in data warehousing and mining? Or something more in the food service and management line? Go back to mural painting? Muddle along substitute teaching and finish that funky garden art and decorating book?

Since I began this post I have actually been hired as an executive chef, and I am resetting my daily rhythmn yet again.

Frankly, it has been more than a decade since I last stepped into a commercial kitchen in a professional capacity. I have been raising Handsome Son. The kitchen I have walked into is so far out of scale with the meals I will be preparing that it's a little over-whelming and a little like the worse equipment exam straight out of Iron Chef. I have equipment I could literally bathe in and not a stem (or digital) thermometer. I have a dough proofing cabinet and no blender. The smallest whisk is longer than my arm.

All this to fees 20 to 70 people? Really?

Challenges, in the best sense of the word, abound.

So if you check this blog and I haven't written for a week, this is why. By next spring, the crocuses will bloom and I'll have this all straightened out.

Anybody want to buy a flat grill?

2 comments:

  1. No flat grill but I will wish you the best of luck. I'll miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you are brave Rachelle- good luck, I'm sure you'll make a success of it!

    ReplyDelete