Friday, September 5, 2014

Ironweed, Sheffield Pink Mum, Late Blooming Daylilies

I am still amazed by the quality of pictures I can take with my iPhone.  Sitting on my deck, I noticed this butterfly making a meal of the ironweed in the Long Border.  As much as I can creep up on anything these days, which is not so much; I was still able to take these nice shots of this nice butterfly.

Ironweed blooms for just 2-3 weeks for me here in central Wisconsin.  The pollinators love it, but because of its short bloom time and tall lanky growth habit, it will never be more than a back of the border filler for me.

This chrysanthemum is about 2 feet wide and tall and I've let it fill a 4 foot space.  It shows up much pinker in the garden.  Pink is something I struggle to find this time of year (unless I buy a fall potted mum).  It was a pass-along plant, given to me with the name Sheffield pink mum.  I has a bit looser habit both in growth and flower form then the mum I see sold with that name.  This is one of the dangers of pass-alongs.  It blooms 4-6 weeks and has nice, darker green foliage on which I have never seen any mildew.  It has not flopped with our heavy, late summer rains, so it holds an important front of the border role covering potential dirty knees of asters.  

Until the gift of "Happy Days Are Here Again" daylily  from its breeder, Darrel Apps, this 'Joan Senior' was probably the longest blooming daylily in my garden.

2 comments:

  1. I still have a few day lilies that are blooming. I did hybridize many over the last years and have about 350 of the original plants left here on the shores of Lake Michigan. Others I have given away as gifts to any who want them. Sort of my "Johnny Appleseed" gift to the future where ever they are now growing. Thanks for the posting today. As always I enjoyed my visit. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jack. I can almost feel the quiet waves of energy floating across my blog from the eastern shore of the big water between us;)

      Delete