Saturday, March 19, 2011

Intoxicating Artwork on Seed Packets



I have oodles of tiny seeds that have sprouted and are growing under lights. Tomatoes, celery, peppers, leeks, onions, cabbage, broccoli, kale, and coleus clippings all busy doing their photosynthesis thing.

But, I walked into a garden center selling seed. I thought I would just look...

Yeah, right!

Like I said, the artwork was intoxicating. They say you should never grocery shop when you're hungry. Seed shopping. These drawing on the seed packet put out by Botanical Interests are good enough to eat.

So what did I pick up?

A couple combo packs (more than one cultivar in the same packet): Artichoke 'Green Globe' and 'Purple of Romanga', Onion 'Ringmaster', Melon 'Charentais', Kale Italian Lacinato 'Nero Toscana'. I also picked up okra 'Red Burgundy', acorn squash, sweet red pepper 'Marconi', marigold 'Tangerine Gem', a dwarf sunflower 'Incredible', and the pumpkin 'Big Max'.

The kale is one I saw growing at Allen Gardens last fall. The marigold is a bushy, frothy one with a different growth habit than most marigold typically sold as transplants. The pumpkin 'Big Max' I thought would be incredible fun for my brother's now 1 1/2 year old sons who live where my garden will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment