Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Naked Ladies and a Cold Frame

April 13, 2011

Yeah, it is still pretty cool outside at night but the naked ladies are fat and sassy-- you have to love that name, naked ladies! Looking like daffs on roids, naked ladies send up their strappy blue foliage and I always think, "That daffodil is one happy plant," only to catch myself. Ah...my naked ladies.




My "instant" cold frame, brick scavenged from a faux wall in my garden and an extra storm window, and I have a cold frame. Granted it is not permanent, but it gives me a little protection from our frosty nights. These plantlings are cool season plants (leeks, onions, celery, Savoy style cabbage, chard, and broccoli) that I have been growing under lights in my grow rack. In a week or so, some of these will go into the ground.



Simply because it is getting to be that time, and I need to get some of my transplants out from under lights to free up some space so I can pot on some things that like it hot (peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos).


Chives


You can see the shallow depression I will fill in as my potatoes grow.


Above and below Geranium pratense grown from seed. They are not looking particularly similar at this stage of their growth. One of these is fairly floriferous in comparison to the other also.




That parsley from last year sure looks alive!


This rhubarb is incredible. It gets to be six feet across and as tall!

No comments:

Post a Comment