Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pick a Peck of Pickled Peppers


This is an interesting pepper we have growing in the family garden. I saved seeds from a pepper I bought marketed as roasting peppers in bags in shades of yellow, orange, and red. The seed is available to commercial growers, labeled as a hybrid; however, the plant and peppers grown from saved seed seem very uniform. The heavy yield on each plant and the quick ripening make this a neat little pepper for the home gardener.

I saved seed from the obviously ripe red ones and from a couple orange ones. There were yellow peppers in the bags. I did not feel the yellow peppers necessarily had ripe seed and did not save seed from them. It is interesting to note seed germinated equally well from the orange and red peppers, yet the peppers all seem to mature in a similar manner. Yellow is NOT one of the color changes through which the peppers transition.

This whole maturation process begs whether the peppers, when grown commercially, are artificially ripened using some sort of fuming or chemical reactant.

They are not hot and have a slightly tough skin. I felt this would make them ideal pickling peppers. This first batch I have pickled in a vinegar and oil mix leaving them whole and hot water bath canning them. Although I trimmed back the stems, I should also have pierced each peppers so them would not float to the top of each quart jar.

They should make a tasty garnish for a sandwich or a salad.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried making grilled red sweet peppers where you blister the skin then pull it off? My sister in law, who is Spanish, makes a salad of these grilled red peppers, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil and it is SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually roast larger peppers, but this would make a good pepper to roast and chop as they are nearly seedless. We'll have to try that!

      Delete