Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Raisin Cookies


I have a third drop cookie to add to my OMG list.

This cookie comes to me by way of the Taste of Home bakers book. I've been subbing for the FCE and I always like to check out the classroom's cook books. They also have a wealth of DVD from the International Cordon Bleu Cooking School, so I am always taking notes on things I want to try. I watched as one of the chefs made a red onion brulee. Today I transformed a chicken filet today with my version of onion and mushroom brulee.

This cookie recipe does not use eggs, which is interesting. I also made a couple upscale touches like exchanging butter for shortening, adding nutmeg, and doubling the cinnamon.

This cookie would be an excellent upscale dessert by serving it drizzled with caramel sauce, sprinkling it with chopped pecans or walnuts, and a dollop of whipped cream. As the recipe is written it calls for a frosting, which I would not omit, even if up-scaled as it is not overly sweet.

Making this more fun, was having help in the kitchen from Handsome Son's College Girlfriend, who came home with him this weekend.

So here goes.

I cooked these as drop cookies, nine dollops to a cookie sheet, for 14 minutes at 350 degrees.

In the mixing bowl, combine:

1 Cup sugar
2 Cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt


Cream in 1/2 Cup butter into above mixture.

Then add one cup of raisins that have soaked five minutes in hot water and then been chopped, and one can of pumpkin. (The original recipe said one can, too. I didn't look, but I think the can was probably 12 or 14 ounces. It was not the big fat cans you sometimes see of pie fillings.)

The Frosting:

2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 Cup of confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoons milk (I used 2%).
1 teaspoon vanilla


Next time I serve this as a fancy dessert, instead of "just a cookie", I'll be sure to add pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment