Sunday, March 31, 2019

Varmints! Spring Clean-up: March 31, 2019


Burning bush chewed by rodents
The soil is still mostly frozen. Spring clean-up needs to happen so the sunlight and heat can actually reach the beds. Hopefully, the birds have had their fill. The rodents certainly have. Possibly rabbits as there are too many, possibly mice, but the damage has been done; my burning bush is obviously the tasty treat, more than apple or pear, crab apple or rose.
I knew a gardener who  planted only annuals and perennials in her borders. In the spring, she just mowed it down. I have taken a page from her book. The boyfriend has a monstrous weed whacker outfitted with plastic blades rather than trimline. Beware of the spirea and clematis. Don't touch the hydrangea-- that's the hydrangea...no that is a baptisia, you're good to go.

Part of the long border whacked to the ground
In about an hour, over 100 feet of border beds, clipped to the ground. Only one casualty, weigelia 'Spilled Wine'. For a second year in a row, it got a bit of a hard prune.

I  have order a patio umbrella and base this year. I want to sit on the deck, in the shade and soak up the air-- before the mosquitoes invade. I had too much time indoors last year due to my accident.  The umbrella is PINK! Pantone Pink 212 to be exact. That trellis-- I bet I can get paint to match! What fun!

Image result for Pantone pink 212C 

No comments:

Post a Comment