Monday, April 1, 2019

Wanted: An Apex Predator

Living in the village as I do with several hundred other residents, hunting in not allowed except in designated areas by permit. No one is shooting any rabbits or squirrels for a stew or for their tails or lucky feet.

Late this winter, two women walking a tiny dog on our village's boardwalk in our park said they saw a large animal watching them. The village official were called and tracks were located and identified with the help of the WI DNR. A wolf had been sighted.

Wolves seem to be a source of many conversations with the idea of hunting them a contentious aspect of that discussion. The wolves could hunt the rabbits and rodents in my yard. I give them permission. The deer, rodents, and rabbits need a predator in their food chain. Last fall, I could arrive home and count no less than four rabbits from any given perspective in my scant 5,000 square foot yard. The coyotes I hear some nights are falling down on the job: calling all wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment